Reminiscent of the same soothing formulations of your childhood, but better! With a nourishing blend of colloidal oatmeal and ultra-hydrating coconut milk, our bath soaks are the missing link for your indulgent at-home spa experience.
But more than just a treat for the senses, our bath soaks were specifically designed with dry and irritated skin in mind. Perfect for those that struggle with allergies, and even gentle enough for baby's skin.
Today, we want to share with you why we love these beautiful soaks, and how the unique properties contained within will have you loving them too!
What is colloidal oatmeal?
Since ancient times, colloidal oatmeal has been a popular remedy for itchy, dry or irritated skin. Fast forward to today, and this natural ingredient is commonly found in moisturizers, shampoos and bathing products.
Colloidal oatmeal is made by grinding oat grain into a fine powder, which is then placed in a liquid medium for better application and absorption into the skin.Colloidal oatmeal is different from ground oatmeal as it has a higher beta-glucan content which contributes to its healing effects.Colloidal oatmeal is known as an emollient - a substance that softens and soothes skin while locking in moisture.
Benefits of colloidal oatmeal:
- Protects: Studies have shown that colloidal oatmeal helps strengthen the skin barrier. This is important, as a compromised barrier (due to over washing or a predisposition to eczema, for example) weakens the skin’s protective capabilities.
- Prevents TEWL:Colloidal oatmeal has been shown to reduce TEWL (or trans-epidermal water loss) by creating a film on the skin that locks in moisture. The high concentration of starch found in this ingredient also contributes to its water binding properties.
- Soothes irritation and inflammation: The cellulose and fiber contained in colloidal oatmeal give it emollient properties that calm redness and irritation. Thanks to various phenols, it also shows antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
What is coconut milk powder?
Coconut oil is a well known ingredient in skincare, thanks to its multi-purpose functions, (cleanser, moisturizer, hair mask and more!) but there’s another part of the fruit that deserves our attention - the milk!
Coconut milk is made from the meat of the coconut, and generally extracted from the coconut meat after pressing or squeezing, with or without the addition of water.
Coconut milk is packed with MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) that include acids like lauric acid, decanoic acid, caprylic acid, and caproic acid, which are what help to make it such an effective multi-purpose product. These acids make up the MCTs that are known for anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, helping to soothe and improve skin barrier.
Benefits of coconut milk powder:
- Cleanses:similar to coconut oil, coconut milk acts as a gentle cleanser that breaks down grime to cleanse the skin without stripping it of essential moisture.
- Hydrates: Coconut milk is a super hydrator thanks to the fatty acid content that smooths skin cells and locks in moisture. Its vitamin C content also helps encourage skin cell elasticity.
- Soothes irritation: Coconut milk is considered a natural antioxidant that is rich in vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5, and B6 as well as iron, selenium, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. Its powerful antioxidants have the ability to soothe skin inflammation.
Enjoy the benefits of these natural ingredients in our creamy bath soaks:
For sensitive skin: Coconut Milk Bath Soak
For normal skin: Pink Coconut Mineral Milk Soak
Learn more about Ativo and our commitment to natural, effective ingredientshere.
Wondering what your skin really needs? Take our Skincare Quizhere for personalized recommendations in under 5 minutes!