Candles can be a big part of self-care and we recently decided to make some — because, why not? Not only is it easy and fun DIY project that you can do with your kids, candle-making is a great way to upcycle your skincare containers, save some money, and tap into that creative side. (We all have it!) We especially love a good scented candle as they add a bit of luxury to our self-care time.
How to Make Your Own Scented Candle
What you’ll need:
- Small kitchen pot
- Wicks - Easily purchased and not too expensive on Amazon or at Michael’s
- Wax - We love soy wax. Also easily purchased, and reasonably priced on Amazon or at Michael’s and not too expensive.
- Clean Ativo glass jar
- Essential oil (Optional, but lovely. Almost everyone loves a good scented candle?)
- Dye for colour (Optional)
- Popsicle sticks or skewers
- Place wick at bottom of glass jar.
- Tie the end to a popsicle stick or skewer so that when the stick lies on the jar opening, the wick is straight and taut. (You may want to measure first so this is a one-and-done process.)
- Melt your wax in the pot on low heat.
- If using essential oils or colour, add those in in after the max has melted.
- Carefully pour melted wax into your jar until there’s about a centimetre away from the lip of the jar. (Don’t overfill!)
- Leave the jar to cool and set.
- When the jar is cool to the touch, trim the wick and enjoy!
Share your candle-making efforts with us on Instagram by tagging @ativoskincare!
At Ativo Skincare we are always looking for ways to reduce waste. It's one of the reasons we love our "melting" packing kernels so much! For more ways to upcycle your Ativo Skincare containers, check out this blog post.
Leave a comment (all fields required)